How to check if your car seat is damaged
The key aspects to check are as follows:
- The Webbing: is it frayed? Worn through? Are there any obvious signs of wear or mould?
- The Structural plastic: Are there signs or crazing, any cracks, any of those white marks that show up when a plastic is bent/stressed
- Polystyrene components (if any): establish that they do not have any cracks… sometimes the fabric cover is holding this together, a real danger sign!
- The latching system: Does it still work, are any parts of it worn/bent
- The cover: Is there mould or any damage from pests? Most can be washed for a nice refresh -just be sure to follow the instructions in the manual. The cover does form an integral part of the structure of the seat, so it's important that you still use the cover- don't replace with a blanket or remove them all together.
- Everything is still there: nothing is missing, the webbing is threaded correctly, the tether system is there (if it has one), the locking clip can be located (if the seat uses the seat belt)?
There are good resources out there to help you with any queries you might have!
Remember car seats are for the safety of our children, it is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. What's a few hundred dollars if it helps save a life?
Important- If car seats were installed in a car that was involved in crash, you need to replace them, even if they pass the steps above. There may be micro cracks in the plastic or metal parts of the seat that are not visible to the eye. Your insurance should cover replacement of the seats.
We don't recommend buying or selling second hand car seats, even if they pass the test above.
Also in News
Valentine's Day is the perfect excuse to show your other half just how much you care. Flowers, chocolates and perfume never go astray, but when it comes to new mums or mums-to-be, there's no better way to say "I love you" than with a truly thoughtful gift that marks a new era of your relationship: parenthood.
Looking for the perfect Valentine’s Day gifts for your partner? Check out our list of gifts handpicked to pamper your lover and celebrate the connection between mother and child. These inspired gift ideas for mums are perfect for wrapping up this Valentine's Day.