July 01, 2015 5 min read
We were a little worried when we booked to go on a Pacific Island cruise with our toddler, she had only been walking for a couple of months, but man was she keen! She wasn't just a walker she was a runner, and she was so excited about her new skill of walking and running that she just wouldn't sit still. My main concerns were:
* Un-fenced pools (I would have to watch her all the time)
* Rails around the boat's decks, would she be able to fall over them?
* Family meals every night, how would we convince her to sit nicely at the table for hours on end?
* Nap times, would we need to take her back to our cabin for naps twice a day?
* Stairs everywhere, so much potential for her to fall and reminded me of the time I fell on the metal outside stairs of the Interislander when I was a kid:-(
Oh and so, so many more, if there is one thing I'm good at it's worrying! But honestly, I would wholeheartedly recommend cruising with your baby or toddler, we went as a group of 11 aged from 15 months to 70-something years and I think we all had a good time. We were expecting a boat full of 'half dead's and newly wed's, like they always say, but the boat was mostly full of families. Apparently the shorter cruises (ours was 10 days) and cruises during the school holidays like ours was, attract a lot younger clientele, we heard that our boat was 1/3 children. I wouldn't say cruising was all easy, and some of my concerns were founded, for example, I was worried about falls over the balustrade around the deck when someone was holding the baby, but I was imagining that the balustrade would be solid perspex or metal, in reality it was four horizontal pipes, about 30cm apart, totally dangerous not just for toddlers but for pre-schoolers as well. That deck gave me the absolute creeps and I avoided it the whole cruise.
I've got a few tips for cruising with your babe:
* You might not want to book a cabin with a balcony, it's just one less thing to worry about if you have an inquisitive toddler who loves climbing and a balcony with easy-to-push-around furniture. You'll save money too, bonus!
Sign up to get $10 off your first order over $30